Christmas 2020 is certainly going to look different than we are used to. The sad truth is that many families with not have the opportunity to gather with extended families and friends. So, what are we going to do about it? Unfortunately, we cannot change the CDC recommendations or the COVID numbers. However, I wonder if we could take this unique opportunity to begin some new household traditions and have some fun anyway.
10 Fun Family Activities
1. Christmas Eve Christmas Movie Marathon. Some of my favorites are Miracle on 34th Street, Home Alone, Elf, The Santa Clause, and A Muppet Christmas Carol.
2. Making Cookies with the Kids. The Peppermint Pattie Stuffed Chocolate Cookies sound awesome to me. Check out this recipe gallery: https://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/christmas/g2177/easy-christmas-cookies/
4. Family Reindeer Games. Have a relay race to see which team can wrap their teammate up the prettiest in wrapping paper. Minute to Win It style games are always fun. Here is a link that you can reference. https://www.happinessishomemade.net/christmas-minute-to-win-it-games/
5. Reading the Christmas story from scripture as a family. My favorite account is in Luke 1 and 2. We enjoy acting out the story with our manger scene. Several years ago, my kids decided to use the donkey for King Harrod, and it is now a tradition.
6. Read some traditional Christmas stories/poems. I like ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas. This was one of my favorite Christmas memories growing up.
7. Driving around and looking at Christmas lights. We always enjoy this one every year.
8. Board Games/Puzzles and Hot Cocoa. We like to pull out our favorite family friendly games, turn on some Christmas music, and enjoy some quality time with each other.
9. YouTube Christmas Karaoke. If you are feeling confident and you want to spread some Christmas cheer, I dare you to record yourself and post it on your favorite social media. You can do this with your family from afar by setting up a social media messenger group to post videos to.
10. Christmas Pictionary/Charades. The only rules are that all pictures or charade enactments have to be Christmas-y.
Please comment below on some of your family’s favorite things to do for Christmas!
Whatever you and your family choose to do, have fun with it.
This is a great time for making some memories that will last a lifetime.